Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Lots of green tomatoes...

I've wanted to have my own garden for years.  Once I went vegan, it seemed like a must-have.  My husband built me an 8'x4' raised bed.  Growing your own vegetables is definitely a learning experience.  I can't wait to put what I learned into action next year.  First of all I need to stake my tomato plants.  There are only three of them, but they are huge and they spread out everywhere.  I won't be growing carrots again, much cheaper to buy them (even the organic kind).   I will definitely plant kale, lots of kale!

The weather here in NKY is pretty chilly.  It's starting to frost in the morning and I still have a ton of green tomatoes growing in my garden.  Jenn's grandma told her that I should pick them all, wrap them in tissue paper and put them in a cool, dark place.  They will turn red.  So, that's what I'm going to do.  


Just look at all those tomatoes!  Check out my crazy garden in the background!!!

Now, I don't even like raw tomatoes that much, but I love marinara!  There is a recipe in The Sexy Vegan Cookbook for The Tomato Killer (pg. 200), which is basically a marinara or pizza sauce.   The recipe calls for 2 pounds of roma tomatoes (will plant those next year) but I just use what I have and it always turns out great!

Off to make some Tomato Killer with some of my red tomatoes!



No comments:

Post a Comment