Friday, September 14, 2012

Juice Cleanse Recap...

Howdy!  So, this juice cleanse was okay.  It could have been worse.  I could have felt like crap like my friend Jenn, the detox dropout.  Although if I felt that badly I probably would have quit too.

Day After 3 Day Juice Cleanse:  I woke up this morning and didn't feel the urge for coffee.  Not really hungry.  Got on the scale and it turns out I lost 3.6 pounds in three days!  Not too shabby!  I wasn't really doing this for the weight loss because I've read that you just gain it right back anyway.  
I took the kids to school and then sat down to eat an apple.  I could really feel my stomach moving.  It didn't feel weird to chew again after not doing it for three days, Jenn said she missed chewing.  The apple didn't really fill me up so I had a big bowl of cereal (Rip's Big Bowl: healthy cereal, lots of fruit, soy milk).  Later in the day Jenn and I trekked to Whole Foods to eat lunch at the salad bar.  I had a lot of veggies and some tabbouleh (a first for me, and I liked it!).  I expected some stomach/gastrointestinal issues, but none so far!  
Overall Thoughts of Juice Cleanse:

-It cost me $69.15 (I only had a couple ingredients already on hand).  That could be a pro or con for some people.  For me, I think it would have been worth paying the extra $15-$20 to buy the juice already made at a juicing specialty store.   There was a Groupon going around recently for a three days juice cleanse for $87.

-I lost 3.6 pounds in three days!  I know I didn't do this for the weight loss, but to get myself back into eating a plant based diet, but that's still pretty awesome!  I have a pair of shorts that are snug when I put them on, but after a while they loosen.  Well, today they were loose when I put them on!

-My complexion is glowing!  Seriously y'all!

-Since the first day of the cleanse I haven't craved anything.  My stomach only growled when it was time to drink another juice.  Most times I wasn't even hungry when it was time to drink, but if I didn't drink it I'd be left with two juices at bedtime.

-I did find it hard to prepare food for my kids.  I was putting grapes in their lunch boxes and almost popped a grape in my mouth.  So, I didn't crave food unless it was sitting in front of me.

-I had to turn down an invitation to dinner.

-I had a headache for two days, most likely from the caffeine withdrawal.  I'm switching to decaf now that it's out of my system.

-Most of the juices were gross, like hold your nose and chug gross.

-The juicer was a pain in the you-know-what!  It needed to be at least rinsed out between each juice.  It had a blade and mesh sort of disc thingie that was really hard to get completely clean.

-I've developed a phobia of beets.

-My kitchen was taken over by juicing for three days.

-I was in a happy mood for the entire cleanse.  Just a reminder, my husband is out of town and I have two kids, and I was HAPPY?  Kinda weird, but good weird.

-I went to Kroger every day for three days.  I always forgot something.

My friend Jenn had mostly negative side effects (bloating, lethargic, headache).  Her complexion did look really good though.  When she wasn't juicing, she ate a whole foods plant diet.

So far today I've been able to stick with eating a vegan plant-based diet.  Lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, a little peanut butter, probably another salad for dinner.  So far so good!

Would I do this again?  Probably too soon to tell.  I will say that if I did I would go the pre-made juice route.  Shopping for the produce, washing the produce, cutting the produce to fit in the jucier, juicing the produce and then cleaning up was really time consuming!

I hope that gave you a little insight into juicing.  I'm happy to say I survived!

PS.  Here's the link to the three day juice cleanse I did.

You can read about Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3 of the cleanse and my reasons for giving the cleanse a try here.

No comments:

Post a Comment