Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Being Vegan Has Changed Me...

Compassion is one of the best side effects of being vegan.  I first noticed this when I found a spider in my house after reading "Eating Animals" by Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.  I was unable to kill the spider.  I've killed hundreds of spiders in my previous, non-vegan life.  In fact, I've even made fun of my husband for being afraid of these spiders because he didn't grow up in the country like I did.   I'm not afraid of spiders, but now I don't want to step on them.  Erin Red once said, "that spider is just  going about it's day being a spider doing spider things."

Now that I'm filled with all this compassion I find myself signing all sorts of petitions.  This morning on twitter I stumbled upon a picture of a dog with hooks in it's mouth.  That is bad enough, but then I read the caption "Live and dead dogs and cats are being used as shark bait.  They are thrown into the water, towed behind a boat until a shark bites."  Absolutely mortifying! I couldn't get the image of that poor dog out of my head.  You can read the full article here.  Please, please, please sign the petition here.  I can't believe I live in a world where this is happening.

On a lighter note, I also signed a petition for Starbucks not to charge extra for soy milk.  They are penalizing people that can't digest cow's milk as well as those that don't want to harm animals with our coffee fix.  You can sign the Starbucks petition here.   

I sign petitions of all kinds now, whether it be about animal rights, school lunches, vegan issues, etc.  I feel like I can make a difference, and if I share it on my FB page and Twitter and others sign, then I really can make a difference.  Be the change you want to see in the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment